Sunday, February 14, 2010

How do they know?

This is a question I've wondered for a long time. How do my dogs know when we're fixing to take them to the dog park? My husband and I don't say the words, or spell them. Perhaps one of us will ask the other "do you want to go to that place to do that thing?" Sometimes we write it down. Sometime we'll step outside so the dogs can't hear us.

It makes no difference. They know.

Doesn't matter if I have my shoes on already or put them one before leaving, look for keys, any of that. There's no set pattern to our departure, but they start bouncing. And boinging. And standing at the door, and then Emma (the princess) starts barking/howling.

Next thing you know, we load up three, put Kamala in her crate (she's not a dog park dog) and away we go, for an hour or so of unfettered sniffing, peeing, pooping and splashing. (Oh how they love the pond!) They meet their friends, make new friends, Emma gives dirty looks to all the intact males, Clark plays referee every chance he gets, and Nanners just wanders around until he find a buddy to wander with. They go home exhausted, which only supports my theory...

a tired dog is a good dog. :)

No comments: